Pio Cesare

The winery was founded in 1881 in the heart of the historic centre of Alba by Pio Cesare (Pio by surname and Cesare by name), the great-grandfather of the present owner Pio Boffa. Pio Cesare was one of the first at that time to believe in the great potential of the lands on the hills of Barolo and Barbaresco for the production of great wines with scrupulous respect for quality.

He started producing wines of Nebbiolo, Barolo, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo d’Alba but also others from the Piedmont tradition - Dolcetto, Barbera, Grignolino, Gavi, Arneis, to name but a few. In 123 years of history, 4 generations have succeeded the guide of Pio Cesare, remaining rigorously loyal to the philosophy of the great-grandfather: quality without compromise.

The winery still has its headquarters in the ancient centre of Alba. The cellars are bordered by the ancient walls which the Romans constructed when they founded the city which at that time was called Alba Pompeia. Attached to the remains of the old walls, in the buildings and cellars of a old house built at the end of the 700s, are the most modern technologies for the production of quality wine. Today the family own 45 hectares of vineyards situated in the best exposed areas of Barbaresco and Barolo. It produces approx. 350,000 bottles per year of which 70% are exported to over 35 countries in the world.